Name:
Location: chennai, India

am curry in a hurry

Friday, December 23, 2005

Festival of sharing

10yrs of schooling in a Christian institution taught me the values of sharing and giving.  My school celebrated Christmas in its real spirit.
Students from class 6 to 12 were selected and asked to conduct the general assembly each day for the entire month of December.  Each class had its own choir, 2 students reading the bible and conducting the day’s prayer. I had this opportunity to conduct the assembly when I was in my class 9. I still cherish the moment. Though am not a Christian I was thorough with all the hymns especially the Christmas carols.  I was also quite familiar with the New Testament. So it was a memorable moment for me when i was asked to conduct the assembly and lead them for the Morning Prayer.  
The entire senior school from 6 to 12 was asked to volunteer as a group from each class and visit one orphanage or old age home and share the joyous occasion with the inmates.  Each class contributed old clothes, pastries, gifts to the people in these homes.  I had the opportunity to visit the Friend in need society in egmore and balavihar home for mentally retarded children in kilpauk.  We sang songs played a small skit and spoke to the inmates individually and made them smile at least for that day. One of us was asked to share our experience we had in these homes to the rest of the school. So the entire month of December was dedicated as a month of sharing and giving whatever we can with the less privileged of our society.  I still cherish those days because it’s during these visits I learnt
Happiness held is the seed and Happiness shared is the flower
  I learnt that true giving always comes out of some sacrifice. It is 13years since I left school but the values that were taught still live through the day.  
Christmas in its real sense is sharing and giving others what little we have. Merry Christmas to all!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home